The Church of the Assumption has released its Holy Week and Triduum schedule for this year.
The parish is pleased to welcome Fr. John Hammond, one of Nashville’s young priests presently pursuing post-graduate academic studies in Rome, for Holy Week and Triduum. Fr. Hammond’s solemn high Mass of Thanksgiving in July 2014 was the first such celebration at St. Mary’s—and likely in Nashville at all—since the 1960s, and he has been a great and material friend to the wider availability of the Extraordinary Form in Nashville. Come see him before he goes back to Rome. Bishop Choby has also been kind enough to assign just-this-past-week ordained Deacon Rick Childress, formerly of Assumption’s own schola, to assist with the Holy Week liturgies at Assumption.
For what I am sure are eminently sensible reasons of logistics, the Triduum celebrations will be in the Ordinary Form this year. We are informed, however, that they will be offered ad orientem; I certainly expect that everyone will be putting their best hermeneutic-of-continuity, mutual-enrichment, and reform-of-the-reform feet forward. You aren’t going to find the Triduum rites celebrated with more care anywhere in Nashville (they might be just as careful at St. Mary’s, but it will be quite crowded). Mass on Easter Sunday morning will be at the usual time and form.
So, the schedule:
- Spy Wednesday, April 12 – Chrism Mass, Cathedral of the Incarnation, 6:00
- No evening Mass at Assumption on account thereof; His Excellency J. Terry Steib, bishop emeritus of Memphis, will celebrate the Chrism Mass
- Holy Thursday, April 13 – Mass of the Lord’s Supper, 6:00 p.m.
- Confessions 4:30–5:40, 7:00–8:00
- the church will remain unlocked until 10:00
- Good Friday, April 14th
- 11:00 a.m. – Stations of the Cross (per longstanding custom, with the Monroe Street United Methodist congregation)
- 6:00 p.m. – Liturgy of the Lord’s Passion
- 7:15-8:00 – Confessions
- Holy Saturday, April 15th
- Confessions 10:00–11:00 a.m., 4:00–5:00 pm.
- 8:00 p.m. – Easter Vigil (supper afterwards, Fr. Bernard Hall; see bulletin)
- Easter Sunday, April 16th
- 8:30 a.m. – Holy Mass, Extraordinary Form
- 11:00 a.m. – Holy Mass, Ordinary Form
- 1:30 p.m. – Holy Mass, Syro-Malabar Rite
- The regularly scheduled confession times will not be had on Easter Sunday; please take advantage of the extended schedule during Triduum